Caves Buses

Caves Bus services only operated for a short time in Redditch after October 1986. However, they continued to run bus services in the Solihull, South Birmingham and Wythall areas until their untimely demise in June 1999. Caves Bus Services was formed in 1956 with one Strachan bodied Trojan minibus. The fleet grew to around five vehicles by the 1960ís with the company operating both private hires and excursions with a fleet dominated by Bedford based vehicles. By the early 1980ís the company had become a bus operator and was running a Redditch to Solihull service number 5 as a replacement to the withdrawn Midland Red West R19. At bus de-regulation on 26th October 1986 the service number 5 became 175 and was cut back to run Wythall to Solihull only. Caves continued to run their service 9 from Solihull to Redditch after 26th October 1986 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only The Saturday service being withdrawn on 7th March 1987 and the remainder after operation on 22nd December 1988.  Caves continued to build a small network of bus services in an around the Solihull area mainly based around school services. The company also provided a number of the weekend Birmingham night services. In the early 1990ís the company replaced the Bedford vehicles with Leyland Nationals which were more suited to the types of services they were operating. The original founder of the company Edward Cave died and the company was left in the hands of his children George Cave and Ann Lewis. Unfortunately, in June 1999 George Cave died very suddenly and within days the company had to stop trading.

The last bus operated by the Caves was HHA126L, Georgeís favorite National, which was used to transport all the company staff to and from his funeral. HHA126L is now "preserved" and is painted in Midland Red West National Bus Company livery. After a number of years attending bus rallies the vehicle was used as an office at the Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley in Birmingham. Unfortunately the vehicle was sold to Uk Bus Dismantlers at Bromyard for scrap in February 2008.

The operational fleet at the closing of the business in June 1999

Registration Number

Vehicle Chassis

Body Work

Seating Capacity

Date Built

HHA126L

Leyland National 1151/1R 00413

Leyland National

B51F

01-Mar-73

GLJ681N

Leyland National 11351A/1R/SC 01879

Leyland National

DP48F

01-Jan-75

NWO476R

Leyland National 11351A/1R 03872

Leyland National

B52F

01-Nov-76

NWO483R

Leyland National 11351A/1R 04073

Leyland National

B49F

01-Jan-77

NWO499R

Leyland National 11351A/1R 04084

Leyland National

B49F

01-Jan-77

THX204S

Leyland National 10351A/2R 05133

Leyland National

B36D

01-Mar-78

THX216S

Leyland National 10351A/2R 05162

Leyland National

B36D

01-Sep-78

HMA567T

Leyland National 11351A/1R 05786

Leyland National

B44F

01-Dec-78

TTC534T

Leyland National 11351A/1R 05473

Leyland National

B52F

01-Oct-78

YPL397T

Leyland National 11351B/1R 05667

Leyland National

B41F

01-Nov-78

YPL442T

Leyland National 11351B/1R 05783

Leyland National

B41F

01-Dec-78

KRP562V

Leyland National 11351A/1R 06459

Leyland National

B52F

01-Jan-79

J921TUK

ACE 90016

Willowbrook 91001

B40F

01-Aug-91

Other vehicles owned at the closing of the business in June 1999 

Registration Number

Vehicle Chassis

Body Work

Seating Capacity

Date Built

TUP 198E

Bedford VAS1

Plaxton Embassy

C29F

TPD192M

Leyland National 1051/1R 01102

Leyland National

B40D

01-Jan-74

NHA286M

Leyland National 11351/1R 2501

Leyland National

B51F

01-Mar-74

GNV980N

Bedford YRQ DW456912

Willowbrook 73790

B45F

01-Nov-74

HNB 24N

Leyland National 11351/1R 01987

Leyland National

B41F

01-May-75

LIL3059

Leyland National 11351/1R 02562

Leyland National

B49F

01-Sep-75

KDW360P

Leyland National 11351/1R/SC 02802

Leyland National

DP48F

01-Nov-75

UGH738R

Leyland National 11351A/1R 03564

Leyland National

B49F

01-Oct-76

OOX816R

Leyland National 11351A/1R/SC 04314

Leyland National

DP45F

01-Jun-77

AYR346T

Leyland National 10351A/2R 06324

Leyland National

B36D

01-Sep-79